Originally Published on: June 23, 2016– 10:48 by A-G @ soultranslations.com
Benefits (when done properly)
- One of the best functional exercises out there.
- Foundational human movement (sitting/standing).
- Squatting properly -> build muscles that improve mobility and balance.
- Help muscles work more efficiently.
- Increase fat burning.
- Prevent injuries.
- Enhance athletic performance.
- Tone your buttocks and abdominals.
- Improve bowel movements and waste removal.
- Improve knee stability and strengthen connective tissue.
- Can be done for a few minutes every day… Anywhere… Any time.
- Beneficial regardless of your age.
- The older you get, the more important they become.
- Inability to perform a proper squat -> important clues about the person’s current fitness and mobility… May be due to areas of weakness in hip extensors, hamstrings, or glutes.
- If you are not strong or are elderly, start with air squats without any weight, so your body can remember how to do the movement correctly. Then you can start adding variations.
- Few people engage in high-quality squats on a regular basis.
- Loss of functionality can result.
- Many elderly and those with knee problems tend to shy away from squats.
- Dr Mercola- Fitness: Squats Are a Great Daily Exercise for People of All Ages